Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205240 - 01/25/20 07:48 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Ernie]
rubicon

Loc: NW Missouri

Cva added 6.5 grendal this year to the scout pistol line up. Caliber works good in sbr ars so should be good in 14 inch pistol. Triggers are excellent on the cva.

#205241 - 01/25/20 07:59 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Ernie]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

Doc and Ernie. I was hoping you 2 would chime in with some advice. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to small caliber flat shooters. I am sure I will be back with more questions when I start putting my rig together.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#205242 - 01/25/20 09:03 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: billa]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

When using a rifle-scope and no brake, I would lean toward the 6mm or 25 caliber.
You can do it without a brake, you just have less fudge room.
A good brake makes a lot of difference and gives the shooter the flexibility to shoot from awkward positions, with light holds

#205243 - 01/25/20 10:29 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Ernie]
Brenden
addict

Loc: WV

If you are going to hunt primarily out of box blinds, I'd recommend a 18-20" bull barrel in 25-06. Easy to set on the bags, low recoil, and should be able to reach out to the distance you want.

#205244 - 01/25/20 10:49 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Brenden]
Zee
Gun Slinger

content Online
In 6.5 cal, I have specialty pistols in 6.5-284 Winchester, .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistically speaking, I like them from the former to the later. It?s a matter of case capacity.
But, I?m strictly a handloader. So, factory options don?t drive my boat. If they do, you might looks to the Creedmoor as your best option.

If you don?t........the Creedmoor is ballistically a castrated 6.5 caliber. It cannot compete with a fully stoked and throated .260 Remington or above I regards to velocity. Does not mean it won?t work. You just have to decide what factors are important to you. Velocity or factory options.

I have a CVA Scout Pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it because I like the platform and the cartridge was second. I?ve shot small groups and killed deer with it, so it works well and I?m pleased. It is probably the best financial option out there for what you are considering. The platform costs less than a TC barrel. And the trigger is much better.

As to the brake.............well........it?s a personal choice. But, I put a brake on EVERY gun I can.

Hearing protection is a must. Regardless of brake or no brake. I can?t afford to lose what little bearing I have left because I was a dumb ass earlier in life and spent too much time around detrimental loud noises. So, now days, if I?m shooting non-suppressed firearms (and even then usually) I have hearing protection. Because reading lips sucks and I?m already there.

So........I like brakes.

#205245 - 01/25/20 10:58 PM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Zee]
Zee
Gun Slinger

content Online
All that to say:

If I was building the gun, I?d go with a long throated .260 Remington and handload from easily available and inexpensive .308 Win brass or proper headstamp if desired. I?d seat heavy for caliber Bullets long and let the gun tell me when to stop stuffing powder. Not a generic loading manual. I?d get as much velocity out of the platform as meets my accuracy requirement and go forth and conquer.

But again, I care little about factory loads. I can beat them all with judicious handloads designed for my particular platform.

You just have to decide your priorities.

Oh, and there would be a brake on the barrel.

#205246 - 01/26/20 12:21 AM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Zee]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

Guys - Thanks for all the great information and advice. It?s exactly what I am looking for. Lots of viable options to consider. Probably think about it for awhile. It?s a want to project - not a need it. That?s the best kind!!!!
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#205248 - 01/26/20 08:54 AM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: billa]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

With the bullet you will use, try to figure out what the impact velocity will be at your max distance with each cartridge. You might want to look at what the wind drift will be too. Pick the cartridge that is going to give you what you want or maybe even what will give you more, if you decide to stretch things out further in the future.
I have a Creedmoor, but if I want to push things, I go 6.5-284, and I would use a good solid bottomed brake-I am Partial to Holland's Radial Baffle. Yes, I have several 6.5 short mags in XP's, but for the Encore platform, I would go with the 6.5-284, that is throated properly for the bullet I am using.

#205249 - 01/26/20 09:42 AM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Ernie]
Zee
Gun Slinger

content Online
Not positive, but I think MGM told me that while doable, the rebated rim of the .284 Win case sometimes causes trials with the Encore extractor.

Could be completely wrong. But, for some reason, that?s bouncing around in my head.

#205250 - 01/26/20 09:51 AM Re: Encore setup for open country Whitetail [Re: Zee]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Originally Posted By: Zee
Not positive, but I think MGM told me that while doable, the rebated rim of the .284 Win case sometimes causes trials with the Encore extractor.

Could be completely wrong. But, for some reason, that?s bouncing around in my head.

Well....Check with that!
The 6.5-06 ( I use 25-06 brass and neck it up) will give you a bit more speed than the 6.5-284, at least mine does.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Gary, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
2 registered (karl, Zee) and 112 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Franchise
Tigger
Chance Weldon
pab1
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Staying Focused
Staying Focused

The Three P's Of H
The Three P's Of Handgun Hunting

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.