Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203274 - 11/06/19 04:25 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: Buck_358]
45MAN
veteran

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
A 100 ROUNDS OF BRASS, IF IT WORKS, SHOULD LAST DARN NEAR A LIFETIME.

#203278 - 11/06/19 07:27 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: 45MAN]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

I do lose a few to neck splits with my barrel and Rem. brass so may try a few Starline brass.

#203279 - 11/06/19 07:35 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
Pa. Mike
journeyman

Loc: South Central Pa.

I would give Match Grade Machine a call and ask them what they would charge to open the neck slightly as it doesn't seem you have very many other good options. They opened up a tight neck SSK barrel for me a long time back.

#203282 - 11/06/19 08:16 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: Pa. Mike]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

PAMike, I?ll definitely keep that in mind as SSK didn?t seem open to anything other than reaming it to their specs. I?m going to try the Rem brass and see what happens.

On another note, I met with Mech8 and his rounds still won?t fit, but it appeared to be the seated length of his bullets as best we could tell. So, SSK tightened the necks and apparently gave it a shorter throat than past barrels. It would have been nice if someone there would have told me some of this during the multiple phone calls. I just want to get it figured out and start shooting. As Rey said, 100 cases will last me a long time once I get them to work!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#203319 - 11/08/19 03:59 AM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
Hawkeye
old hand

Loc: Oklahoma

content Online
I hope the new brass resolves the issue. All the brass I have been using for the last 15 years on my 309JDJ, 338JDJ#2 & 375 JDJ has been R-P. If the R-P brass works for you, I would like to see if the Starline brass would fit in any of my barrels after being loaded. I would like to try a few pieces of the Starline and if it works, I would purchase from you if you wanted to do something like that.
I have a 6.5JDJ barrel I'm dealing with right now that after firing some rounds, I can't get them into the dies, to resize. The brass just past the rim after being fired is about .004 to large to fit into my old RCBS dies. So I just ordered a new set of Hornady from SSK and the brass won't size in it. After lubing fired brass, I can run the brass into either die about 1/8" at a time for about 15 strokes to get the brass sized to .421, which is what all chamber drawing show it to be. I have pulled many case rims off trying to size. I have gotten pretty good at removing stuck cases from the dies. This is on an older barrel I picked up a few years back and have just dealt with it. I found another 6.5JDJ barrel, RCBS dies and some brass on a site this summer and purchased it for a great price. All fired brass will work on either set of my dies with one stroke. This is when I decided after doing considerable measuring on brass, new, sized, fired that the barrel is letting the brass expand to much about 1/4" from the rim. I just sent the barrel, new dies, some fired brass from this old barrel and then some brass fired from my new barrel to SSK a few days back. I figured, what the heck. It's just laying on my work bench, taking up space. I wrote a 4 page letter with all of my findings and will be waiting to see what happens. I have been loading for my jdj rounds for 20 years and other wildcat stuff longer. This has been a venture to say the least. Will see what SSK has to say. I like all of my JDJ rounds and this is not bashing them in any way. Just want to know what they think it might be.

Good luck with your barrel and loading.

Mike

#203537 - 11/17/19 02:04 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
JDK
enthusiast

Success! I finally have loaded rounds that fit my chamber. The RP brass worked. I seated my bullet using the dummy round from SSK and it fits perfectly. I loaded some testing rounds and hope to shoot them tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

As a side note, SSK said Blackhiils Shooter Supply has tons of RP 444 Marlin brass. I called and they do, BUT they don?t sell retail. So, it can be tricky to find readily available Rem. brass.

#203538 - 11/17/19 02:07 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: Hawkeye]
JDK
enthusiast

Mike, that?s weird. Please let us know what SSK says.

#203568 - 11/19/19 11:47 AM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
JDK
enthusiast

I have successfully loaded, chambered, and fired 358 JDJ rounds in my barrel! RP brass works perfectly and I shot some work-up loads yesterday. I worked up to one of the non-maximum loads SSK sent me using the Speer 220 FP and AA2520. It should give me somewhere between 2200-2300 FPS, but I have no chronograph, so I'm just going by SSK's numbers.

From the starting load to the load I wanted, I saw zero change in the primer and every round unlocked easily and dropped right out of the chamber. All of the rounds, which was 3 to 4 of each powder charge, shot into an inch or less at 25 yards with me using a pretty poor rest and a sloppy 2.5" circle I drew with a marker as a target. I am going to get to work loading more rounds and dialing them in now!

A word on recoil. This round has it in spades! The brake keeps the muzzle down and drives the gun back. It isn't intolerable by any means for anyone not recoil sensitive, but it gets your attention. I realized that I cannot use my support hand to wrap around my strong hand in usual fashion. The darned trigger guard drives right into my left index finger with gusto. That happens to be a really bad arthritic finger
I'm going to dig out my shooting gloves for range work, but while hunting I won't even notice it. I have wrist problems and I am glad to see the lack of muzzle rise kept me from feeling any discomfort in them. A buddy's 500 S&W revolver (6" maybe) caused me enough discomfort to tell me not to get one of those!

The noise didn't seem bad to me at all while using plugs and muffs, certainly not as bad as an 11 inch .223. I have very high hopes for this barrel and have no regrets with the project. Thanks!

#203571 - 11/19/19 12:47 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

On the hard recoiling calibers, as you have found out you never put the fingers of the off hand under the trigger guard spur. You put the first two fingers of the support hand on the outside of the spur or you get Contender Knuckle. Mine is magna ported and raises more than with a brake,and they do come back hard. I limit the number of shots at a setting with any hard recoiling gun as fatigue sets in quickly and bad habits follow. Shoot a group lay it down shoot something lighter then come back. I shoot 180 gr Speer in mine and they work well.

#203624 - 11/20/19 09:36 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: junebug]
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
9 registered (RBO21, Igor, 45MAN, Mark Hampton, Whitworth, adbhowler) and 203 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
The Three P's Of H
The Three P's Of Handgun Hunting

Hogs and Deer: Wor
Hogs and Deer: World's Apart

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.