Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203692 - 11/23/19 10:24 AM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: Chance Weldon]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

Glad you got your 358 working. For offhand shooting I cradle the front of the trigger guard in my off hand
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#203766 - 11/25/19 03:26 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: billa]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

I loaded up some more rounds and sighted it in today. Using a pretty solid rest, this load shoots three rounds into 1.5? at 100 yards, with two rounds Touching. I?m pretty satisfied with those groups.

I have tweaked my grip and have it as comfortable as possible. The weak hand index and middle finger on the lever works great. I just cradle the action with that hand. If I try to stiff arm my strong hand, it makes the pain worse in my palm, so I just relax a little and let the gun come back. It?s going to come back anyway! At the shot, the gun slides back from my support hand a few inches and my arm absorbs a lot of the recoil as it moves. It still smacks my palm pretty bad, but there is no free ride. 220 grains at 2200+ FPS in a pistol as light as a Contender is going to make things move.

I?m ready to hunt now. It is likely I?ll not shoot anything larger than a doe this deer season and I?m curious how the big Speer slug will behave. Maybe later on I?ll get a shot at a hog. Take care.

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#204061 - 12/07/19 12:07 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
Hawkeye
old hand

Loc: Oklahoma

JDK, glad you got your SSK barrel up and running. Sounds like you should have a great deer/elk or what ever hammer. The 358JDJ is one I never got around to purchasing. Tried to get a couple on sites but it didn't work out. I'm happy with my .375JDJ shooting 220 & 235 grain flat nose bullets.

On another note we spoke about. I got my 6.5JDJ Contender barrel back from SSK. No notes, nothing. I sent some brass that had been shot from this barrel and it looked to be sized. SO, I call them. Talked to the guy that got my barrel. He said that over time, making barrels that some reamers cut different. He didn't see that .002 larger chamber was an issue. BS!. I asked him how he sized the cases. He said that my dies, I had sent had a little rust in them. BS! I had cleaned them with steel wool before sending them due to expecting them to say that. He said he ran the cases through the dies with NO problem.
Now I'm starting see the writing on the wall. I asked him what about the Brand New Hornady Custom dies I had just purchased from him for $100.00. What am I supposed to do with them. I got a load of crap but they finally agreed to take them back.
I took the barrel out, without scope or sites and fired 10 rounds to get some fired brass to try in the "Cleaned UP Dies". Not a one of them would size, without doing the 1/8" steps running them into the die just as they had before. BS! I even tried sizing with one stroke and pulled the case rim off in the shell holder twice before my brain said this was no good. I was about ready to cut the barrel up and take my loss. I had a little light come on, dim but it did come on in my head.
I called Hornady and talked with the guys that makes the JDJ dies. He said he was sorry and that the only solution he could come up with is he could make me a custom sizing die, for $150.00 for my fired cases so I could use the "CUSTOM" barrel. Now we are getting somewhere! Right?
I'm waiting on the refund after sending the new, unused dies back to SSK. I have fired 10 more rounds and have them boxed up to send to Hornady to send them to Hornady for a custom Sizing die that will be zipped tied to this barrel forever so that whoever would get it after me, could shoot and load for it and have fun!
I'm a little upset with this issue but I got the barrel second or third hand, who knows how many owned it and couldn't load for it. If it had been new, I would have gotten a full refund and went on my way. If this barrel didn't shoot lights out for me at any distance, after killing many deer, some hogs and varmints it would be sold for some of the guys that are stubbing the barrels and making a new caliber barrel, or a tent stake.
I'm rambling now but you asked to hear what happened with this barrel. There is the story. Just waiting on my Custom Die now.
Mike

#204066 - 12/07/19 07:28 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: Hawkeye]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

I hated to hear that Mike. I am big on customer service and that just seems a bit lacking at SSK now. I know you said your barrel shoots great, but I wonder if there is something it could be opened up to that is more standard? Otherwise, you will be the only kid on the block with a Contender chambered for the 6.5 Mike!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#204072 - 12/07/19 11:04 PM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: JDK]
KYODE
Shooting Expert

Loc: Northeast Ky.

Mike.....hard to keep up with what all is going on here, but i will say this.......
i had a set of hornady 6tcu dies that would stick cases no matter what lube i tried. Sent die to Hornady and they determined the size die was ?rough? and sent me another that works. Just wondering if that size die is the whole problem???

Long time ago, so I may forget some specifics. Prob tried 4 or 5 different lubes and developed a preference on ?slickness?. Lol

#204073 - 12/08/19 12:01 AM Re: 358 JDJ Rounds Will Not Chamber [Re: KYODE]
Hawkeye
old hand

Loc: Oklahoma

Kyode, thanks for the info. I thought about that. I have two sets of 6.5JDJ dies. One I bought 15 years back, Hornady, and a set of RCBS that came with the barrel I have now in 6.5JDJ. I tried both of these on the dies and they wouldn't work. I'm going to send the set I can use to them and let them check the dimensions and see if you might be right. Never can tell. The two sets I have will size the fired brass from the barrel I'm shooting now.
On the lube, I have tried RCBS, Sinclair, Hornady dry spray and another by Lyman.
All with the same results.

JDK- I asked Hornady and SSK and they both said with the Contender barrel, there is nothing they can rechamber to clean up the barrel like it is.

Mike

Edited by Hawkeye (12/08/19 12:03 AM)

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Franchise
Tigger
Chance Weldon
pab1
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Double Boar Saturd
Double Boar Saturday by Swift Bullets

Right and wrong pl
Right and wrong place to hit a boar

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.