Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200945 - 08/03/19 11:22 PM How crucial is properly breaking in barrels?
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

Despite having received both my MGM 327 and 460 Encore barrels a while ago, I haven't yet had many opportunities to shoot either of them. One thing that's been causing me to put them off has been the issue of breaking in the barrels. With the 460 barrel being one of my dream builds, one I plan on holding onto for a while, I especially want to make sure I do everything properly. MGM recommends a break-in procedure consisting of cleaning thoroughly between every shot for 15 rounds, then every 3-5 shots for every 50 rounds. That's going to be a bit time consuming.

What I've begun to wonder though is, is such a break in procedure necessary? The 460 isn't exactly a benchrest cartridge, and even on paper targets I'll probably only shoot it to 250, maybe 300 yards at most. I don't know, maybe I should just buckle up and get it done, even if it takes a while. What do you guys think?

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#200946 - 08/03/19 11:50 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Chance Weldon]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

content Online
I don't really put a lot of weight into the "break in" process...I do think it's important to familiarize with your gun/bullet combination, I don't think counting shots is really all that important

#200947 - 08/04/19 07:54 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Franchise]
Mark Hampton
addict

Loc: Missouri

Chance, If you ask 10 people this question -- you're likely to get 10 different answers. I've got MGM barrels -- and get exhausted just reading their break-in recommendation. Recommended procedures vary from different manufacturers. From a layman's perspective - barrel break-in doesn't make your barrel any more accurate -- just easier to clean down the road.

#200949 - 08/04/19 09:05 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Mark Hampton]
98Redline
old hand

Loc: Eastern PA

Wouldn?t running a few fire lapping rounds down the barrel accomplish the same thing?

At its core barrel break in, isn?t it just a form of the fire lapping process with an exceptionally fine grit?

#200950 - 08/04/19 09:25 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: 98Redline]
wvhitman
old hand

Loc: WV

I've never done the shoot one-clean one routine. With all the guns I've done 13,000+ groundhogs and 2400+ deer with, they still shoot great. Only worn out one barrel ever-2200 rounds through my 6.5/.284XP.
I pace myself when sighting in. Shoot slow to keep the barrel cool. I only oil the barrel after the first sight in session, they dry patch only rest of hunting year. Oil changes POA each time requiring another sight in. At end of year every year gun gets copper cleaned and bore curing with several of the products out there.
Worked last 44 years. Too old to change.

#200953 - 08/04/19 02:43 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Mark Hampton]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Chance, If you ask 10 people this question -- you're likely to get 10 different answers. I've got MGM barrels -- and get exhausted just reading their break-in recommendation. Recommended procedures vary from different manufacturers. From a layman's perspective - barrel break-in doesn't make your barrel any more accurate -- just easier to clean down the road.

This.

Since every barrel is an entity unto itself, there is no way to prove that a barrel break-in procedure has any effect on resulting accuracy. Once you shoot it either way, there is no way to return it to brand new and try another way to see if there is a difference. So I. Reality, it?s all speculation. A feel good that manufactures give customers because they think they need one. A placebo.

Drink the Koolaid if you need/want.

😎

#200955 - 08/04/19 04:42 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Zee]
KYODE
Shooting Expert

Loc: Northeast Ky.

Not something i worry about. Clean before first firing.....after a range session.....or when i take a notion or get time. Lol

Id guess most just give out a procedure just because some people demand one or want to ask all the time. But.....thats just my thinking.

#200958 - 08/04/19 06:16 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: KYODE]
H2OBUG
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Louisiana

I think it makes a big difference on cheap barrels. On good quality barrels I don?t think you get a lot they are pretty smooth already.

#200962 - 08/04/19 08:12 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: H2OBUG]
Pa. Mike
journeyman

Loc: South Central Pa.

Most premium barrels are fairly smooth inside to begin with but as I understand it you are really smoothing out the throat area where the reamer has made minute circular marks. They claim this is where the fouling process begins. I break in every barrel except revolvers with shoot one shot and clean for the first 10 shots then after 3 shots for the next 9. I do this at 25 yards and get my scope on paper at the same time. Does it make them more accurate? Not sure but the extra effort up front makes for much less cleaning effort for life of the barrel in my humble opinion. But again its a personal choice and the success the wvhitman has achieved cannot be argued with.

#200975 - 08/05/19 01:21 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Pa. Mike]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

Last week, I received a new MGM barrel in 45-70 that I had out to the range Saturday. Their instructions were actually pretty short (or I glossed over the long boring parts). I cleaned, shot 2, cleaned, shot 2 and cleaned again and shot ~40. At the end I was getting 3 shots touching @ 100 yards with loads that it liked. The throat had been honed after reaming due to a miss communication on my end (note to self, don't send in neck sized dummy rounds for a new barrel) but i was very happy with the performance.

#200986 - 08/06/19 08:19 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: karl]
Bob Roach
old hand

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

I have done the shoot one and clean break in on a few target rifles over the years. My last several Contender/Encore barrels I clean them before heading to the range, and when I am done with sight in.

Bob R

#200987 - 08/06/19 09:20 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Bob Roach]
Randy M
veteran

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

content Online
I personally don't go through any formal break in process, but I do clean my barrel pretty frequently - even while on the range. I'd say no more than every 5 rounds and I'll stop and clean. My thinking is that I hunt with a clean, cold, barrel, so I target practice the same way.

The only exception is if I have extra loaded rounds that I've determined won't be used going forward. In that case, I usually fire them all to clean out the brass and be ready for my next loading session.

#201045 - 08/08/19 01:32 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Randy M]
tradmark
Shooting Expert

When asked about it, the owner for krieger barrels said that no, ya dont need to but people expect to so there is a procedure recommended

#202712 - 10/18/19 05:09 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: wvhitman]
Willicd76
journeyman

Loc: Tx panhandle

Hi
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
I've never done the shoot one-clean one routine. With all the guns I've done 13,000+ groundhogs and 2400+ deer with, they still shoot great. Only worn out one barrel ever-2200 rounds through my 6.5/.284XP.
I pace myself when sighting in. Shoot slow to keep the barrel cool. I only oil the barrel after the first sight in session, they dry patch only rest of hunting year. Oil changes POA each time requiring another sight in. At end of year every year gun gets copper cleaned and bore curing with several of the products out there.
Worked last 44 years. Too old to change.

TWENTY FOUR HUNDRED DEER?!!!
I'll guess you have been hunting 50yrs. You average 48 deer a season? Thats a LOT of meat....

#202713 - 10/18/19 05:51 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Zee]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: Zee
Since every barrel is an entity unto itself, there is no way to prove that a barrel break-in procedure has any effect on resulting accuracy. Once you shoot it either way, there is no way to return it to brand new and try another way to see if there is a difference. So I. Reality, it?s all speculation. A feel good that manufactures give customers because they think they need one. A placebo.

Drink the Koolaid if you need/want.

😎

No! NO! Tell me it's not so!

#202732 - 10/19/19 01:09 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Ernie]
Willicd76
journeyman

Loc: Tx panhandle

I build custom match and hunting rifles using all of the major manufacturer blanks. I clean them thoroughly before the first shot is fired and clean them again when they need it. That might be 50 rounds the first time and 250 rounds the next.

#202735 - 10/19/19 03:24 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Willicd76]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: Willicd76
I build custom match and hunting rifles using all of the major manufacturer blanks. I clean them thoroughly before the first shot is fired and clean them again when they need it. That might be 50 rounds the first time and 250 rounds the next.

What he said.

A thorough clean and lapping with diatomaceous earth before the first shooting. Then, I clean the bore when the rifle tells me to clean the bore (accuracy degradation) or I can?t remember the last time I cleaned the bore.

Granted, the action/receiver is cleaned more often. Having moving parts and all.

#202750 - 10/20/19 08:43 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Zee]
bluecow
old hand

Loc: maine

content Online
JMHO, For a bench rifle, okay. For a handgun, you would have to be like Ivory soap .99,44/100% better shooter than the rest of the world see see any difference. on the other hand if the Manf. suggest it, on the 3rd hand what tradmark said. Guess I'm back to I aint that good and will never know the difference.

#202753 - 10/20/19 10:00 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: bluecow]
RSW

Loc: KY

I don't break in no stinking barrels!

#202756 - 10/20/19 10:32 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: RSW]
ruger4570
addict

Loc: Illinois

On a new barrel I usually shoot 3 then run a bore snake through it. Then I after I have it sighted in, usually 10 or less shots, I run the snake through again and shoot groups. Then only run it through at the end of each session.

#202887 - 10/24/19 11:47 AM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: ruger4570]
BIZZMO

Loc: california

A rifle builder explained barrel break-in to me,microscopic fibers like hairs are leftover from the machining process and when you send a bullet down the bore you lay them down trapping carbon/copper particles underneath them ,running a cleaning patch helps clear it out for the next round, after several cycles of this the fibers have worn out and are gone..in theory! I Really don't know how much it affects accuracy in a handgun or even a precision rifle but what I have found that it makes your barrel come cleaner with less patches run through it,BTW I have a bore scope and when I think my barrel is clean I look at it and find out that I'm wrong most of the time.This information and 50 cents probably won't get you a cup of coffee .

#202894 - 10/24/19 09:16 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: BIZZMO]
Vance in AK.
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kenai, Alaska

I attended a LR Precision Rifle class this year here in Alaska With Frank Gali (Owner of Snipers Hide website) & Marc Taylor from here in Alaska. They were a Marine Scout Sniper team & now do classes together. Both say no formal break in. Clean it before you shoot it. Clan it at the end of the first range session. Don't clean it again until you see accuracy degradation or are putting it away for extended times (Months). With the 308 on many rifles Frank said his only barrel cleaning is a few pulls with a dry bore snake at 500-700 rds.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

#203651 - 11/21/19 08:43 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: karl]
Reloder28
journeyman

My break-in procedure:
Load & fire, repeat.

#203698 - 11/23/19 12:03 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: Reloder28]
RH Custom Guns
journeyman

Loc: Fredericksburg, TX

On all the guns I've built using various well-known barrel makers, only one has ever shown improvement after a "break in." I say that because it magically went from 2MOA to .5MOA after about 50 rounds of .300 WBY and some cleaning. All the other barrels I use have shot well from the first round.

#203702 - 11/23/19 02:33 PM Re: How crucial is properly breaking in barrels? [Re: RH Custom Guns]
H2OBUG
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Louisiana

In my experience low quality barrels respond well to a break in cleaning process. High quality custom barrels are really smooth already and you don?t gain much with the extra cleaning.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (Wheelguns1961) and 177 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Ice age tusker
Ice age tusker

Hogs and Deer: Wor
Hogs and Deer: World's Apart

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.