Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199052 - 04/17/19 09:40 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman]
ruger4570
enthusiast

Loc: Illinois

I saw Craig Boddington at an Annual NRA convention before I went over to Namibia. He was very helpful, and one piece of advice was really great. Wear your hunting boots over, or at least put in your carry-on luggage.

Your guns or ammo my get lost, but you can always borrow these. Same with clothing. I f lost can be replaced. BUT try finding a pair of boots that fit....good luck.

#199058 - 04/18/19 04:13 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: ruger4570]
KRal
Shootist

Loc: MS

Max, that Nyala is a beauty!

Ruger4570, that's some sound advice - thanks!

Trademark, thanks for the info. The 454 was actually my unspoken #1 pick - was just curious what other suggestions I might get. I'm not ruling out the proven A-frames, but I have good supply of 260 and 300gr Nosler Partitions that are wanting to play.

Which brings up another question - would the 260's over max dose of H110 be more desirable with the it's fast/flat shooting capability or the 300gr over max load of H110 with a little more weight and less velocity?

#199059 - 04/18/19 05:43 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
Randy M
old hand

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

I think either load would work fine but lean toward the 300.

#199060 - 04/18/19 06:40 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Randy M]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

300 gr....if Eland is on the list...300 gr

#199066 - 04/18/19 12:49 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Franchise]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

The eland I took was a big animal. For sure a 300... Otherwise for smaller plains the 260`s running fast will do the job. The last time I paid for hartebeest and buff but left Africa with a total of six animals..... Its amazing what you`ll see..
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#199068 - 04/18/19 06:26 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

Originally Posted By: KRal

Trademark, thanks for the info. The 454 was actually my unspoken #1 pick - was just curious what other suggestions I might get. I'm not ruling out the proven A-frames, but I have good supply of 260 and 300gr Nosler Partitions that are wanting to play.

Which brings up another question - would the 260's over max dose of H110 be more desirable with the it's fast/flat shooting capability or the 300gr over max load of H110 with a little more weight and less velocity?

BETWEEN A 260 AND A 300, FOR AFRICA, DEFINITELY GO WITH THE 300. IF YOU HIT THE ANIMAL ITS YOURS, AND YOU PAY FOR IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT RECOVERED, SO WITH REVOLVERS YOU BETTER NOT TRY ANY LONG RANGE SHOOTING, 100 YARDS MAX, CLOSER TO FIFTY A LOT BETTER, AND AT THOSE RANGES A 30O GRAINER WILL SHOOT FLAT ENUFF.

#199069 - 04/18/19 07:50 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
 Originally Posted By: KRal

BETWEEN A 260 AND A 300, FOR AFRICA, DEFINITELY GO WITH THE 300. IF YOU HIT THE ANIMAL ITS YOURS, AND YOU PAY FOR IT, EVEN IF IT IS NOT RECOVERED, SO WITH REVOLVERS YOU BETTER NOT TRY ANY LONG RANGE SHOOTING, 100 YARDS MAX, CLOSER TO FIFTY A LOT BETTER, AND AT THOSE RANGES A 30O GRAINER WILL SHOOT FLAT ENUFF.

Exactly!

#199073 - 04/19/19 08:40 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

Kral,
There has been a load of good advice posted here. Experiences from perhaps 100 handgun safaris. I have only been there once but it was the greatest! As far as animals go, everyone has their opinion of course but being on a limited budget what I did was prioritize. My dream animal was Kudu, then Impala. After that I was flexible. I shot a Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest and 2 Warthogs. These 6 made for a great hunt. There are many other affordable options- Springbok, Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Gemsbuck. As far as the hunt goes, we did spot and stalk. The mountain top Kudu Hunt was awesome. I really enjoyed stalking Warthogs. The hunting was in thick cover and it reminded me of deer hunting in the US.
If I go again I will likely use the same outfitter - EAI Outdoors - But you should check out the others mentioned before you choose. In regards to overall cost consider your taxidermy carefully. Taxidermy can exceed your animal costs. One of the reasons I chose my outfitter is that they have an on site taxidermist. They take care of everything and I was happy with the results.
Here are a few key items I suggest:
-Use a service to get your guns through at the airport.
-Wear your hunting boots on the plane along with other must have items.
-Carry on what you can. Use your hunting backpack and a briefcase for your personal item.
-Pack as much as you can in your gun box. Binoculars, knives, rangefinder. I removed a layer of foam and put some clothes in the bottom. Get a good case. Airlines try hard not to lose guns!
-I also put my guns in zipper cases inside the gun box for extra protection
-Take your own shooting sticks. I used the traditional wooden (bamboo actually) but I planned for it and took a clamp on brace that I made for wrist support. It worked great. I practiced with it on wooden sticks for a year to get it right.
-Use heavy bullets for full penetration on your largest animal. All shots are center shoulder. I almost took a facing head shot on a feeding Warthog but he turned at the last minute.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#199074 - 04/19/19 09:14 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: billa]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

Originally Posted By: billa

-Use heavy bullets for full penetration on your largest animal. All shots are center shoulder.

AMEN TO THE HEAVIER BULLETS, e.g, 300gr vs 260gr, AND AMEN TO CENTER SHOULDER! I SHOT AN IMPALA HEAD ON WITH A 375-06 JDJ, USING A SWIFT 250 AFRAME, AT WAY OVER 2,000fps, AND IT TOOK THE TRACKERS A LONGTIME TO FIND IT. MY EXPERIENCE WITH FRONTAL SHOTS IS USUALLY NOT TO MY SATISFACTION, WHILE MY EXPERIENCE WITH SHOULDER SHOTS, ESPECIALLY BROADSIDE, IS ROUTINELY EXCELLENT.

#199075 - 04/19/19 10:20 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN]
KRal
Shootist

Loc: MS

Good information, gentlemen! I had pretty much decided on what I was going to carry and what bullets i was going to shoot, I just wanted to spark some good conversation. So far - so good.
For revolver selection, my main gun is probably going to be my FA M83 454 casull with 7.5" barrel topped with a 2.5x8 leupold. Probably going to be shooting a 300gr Nosler Partition over a max dose of H110. Haven't totally decided on belt gun yet, but one option is my FA M97 with 5.5" barrel topped with a jpoint reflex sight shooting a 260gr Nosler Partition over 18 or so grains of 2400. Thoughts?

Bill thanks for the great pointers. I'll be thinking a while on the taxidermy aspect. Deciding between having it done in Africa and shipped back, shipping back hide and skulls to have my taxidermist do it, or have it shipped back and doing it myself.
I'd love to here the pro's and con's from several different members on this.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (sixshot, AKBman, BBwheelgunner, 1 invisible) and 33 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Franchise
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Till Case Do Us Pa
Till Case Do Us Part

Listening for the
Listening for the Train

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.