Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192009 - 04/18/18 07:10 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: wheelguns]
45MAN
addict

Loc: brownsville, texas

SAWFISH: YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN! THESE KIND OF STORIES ARE A GREAT READ.

#192024 - 04/19/18 02:27 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
cottonstalk
Pooh-Bah

Loc: North Carolina

I was using a Rossi stainless 357mag, that I purchased for $180, (that should tell you how long ago)for years on white-tail when they came close enough, but out of range of my bowhunting style. Came across a fellow named Hal Swigget's writing and we exchanged a few letters and a couple of phone conversations and I purchased a SBH in 44mag and the rest is history. Picked up a 45colt in my mid 20s and that's a love affair that will never go away. I've shot and owned multiple calibers of all kinds but always drift back to the 45colt.

#192026 - 04/19/18 03:16 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: wheelguns]
Sawfish
addict

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

content Online
Thanks, Guys.
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#192027 - 04/19/18 03:20 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
Sawfish
addict

content Online
 Originally Posted By: 45MAN
SAWFISH: YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN! THESE KIND OF STORIES ARE A GREAT READ.
Rey, Want to hear the story about the Raging Bull Professional hunter that I bought off a guy in south Texas?

#192028 - 04/19/18 09:46 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: PsTaN]
ruger4570
enthusiast

Loc: Illinois

Originally Posted By: PsTaN
Sawfish ... that's a cool story!!!

+1

#192029 - 04/19/18 10:01 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: ruger4570]
45MAN
addict

Loc: brownsville, texas

SAWFISH: I HEARD YOU ACQUIRED A 454 RAGING BULL, HOW DID IT WORK OUT?

#192033 - 04/20/18 03:34 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
Sawfish
addict

content Online
I put a J-Point on it that I had on hand, and ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough holster on which I persuaded Rod to add some "ears" to protect the sight. Since they stopped bear hunting with hounds in California, the bear population is on the rise and the bears are becoming more bold/aggressive competing for food. I have not been bothered by them, but feel well prepared with the RB on my hip. Very accurate, and I can always club any unfriendly creatures to death if I run out of ammo.

#192254 - 05/01/18 11:36 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

The following is a quote from "Hunting Elk by Handgun" by Gary
Marbut......"Hunting by handgun is not for everyone. If your family size and economic circumstances require you to optimize your chances to fill your freezer, handgun hunting may not be for you. If your ego and self-esteem require that you kill something every hunting season, handgun hunting may not be a good fit.
If the hunt is more important to you then the kill, if the outdoor experience motivates you more than bragging about a trophy, handgun hunting has a lot to offer. Certainly, handgun hunting is more difficult. The challenge is part of the attraction. If you don`t understand that, handgun hunting is unlikely to draw or reward you."
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#192255 - 05/01/18 11:43 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: Sawfish
I always wanted to be a handgun hunter, but the only handguns I owned were a .25 ACP that my Uncle brought back from his WWII stint in Germany, and a High Standard .22 revolver that I inherited from my Brother. I finally decided to make that a reality, and saved up enough money to buy a decent pistol. I visited a gun dealer friend of mine, who gave me a great deal on an S&W 6 1/2" Model 29 in 44 Magnum. It was a beautiful piece of the gunmaker's art with deep dark blue and reddish brown grips. I fondled that gun for two weeks waiting to go shooting. Then the movie "Dirty Harry" hit the local theatres. My gun dealer friend called and asked if I had shot it, and would I be interested in selling to which I replied No and No. He asked me to keep it unfired for a bit, and said that he would call me in a few days. It seems the movie's popularity had not only wiped out all existing inventory of blued S&W 6 1/2" Model 29s, but had also severely escalated the price of all other blued 29s. My dealer friend called and said he would double my money on the 29, and also make me a killer deal on an almost new Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. It was too good to pass up, so feeling like I was selling one of my Children, I exchanged the Smith for the Ruger and the cash. I knew that the 29 market was depleted, but on a whim, I stopped by the area Wal-Mart on the way home, and looked through their pistol selection (Wal-Mart sold pistols then, and so did J.C. Penney). The clerk asked if I was looking for something, and I half heartedly asked if he had any 29s hid out in the back. As a matter of fact I do he replied, but said I do not think you will want it, as he went to retrieve it. He returned with a large blue Smith & Wesson box, and my heart skipped a beat. He pulled out the longest, shiniest pistol I had ever seen, an 8 3/8" Model 29 in bright Nickel. I asked him what was wrong with it. He said nothing, but he kept it in the back because every body wanted to hold it because there were no blued 29s to be had and he could not get his work done. He remarked that they had even marked it down because it was not selling. I had enough left from my previous transaction to cover the price, so I brought it home. Since it was too pretty to hunt with, it became my target gun and the Ruger was my hunting gun. I wore the bluing off that SBH hauling it in my Blazer while waiting for an easy shot. I finally learned that I was never going to be a handgun hunter if I brought my rifle on the hunt. Shortly thereafter I received a certified letter from Smith & Wesson informing me that I was one of the sweepstakes winners of an all expenses paid handgun hunt to be held at the YO Ranch in Texas. Never hunted with a rifle since. So thanks to Dirty Harry, Wal-Mart, Smith & Wesson and the YO Ranch, I became a handgun hunter. Yes, I know it too long, but those of you that know me would expect nothing less.

P.S. I still have the Nickel 29, the Super Blackhawk, the German .25 ACP, and the High Standard.

Just read......A winner for sure......
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#192270 - 05/02/18 07:53 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey]
rougerocco
journeyman

Loc: Michigan

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
The following is a quote from "Hunting Elk by Handgun" by Gary
Marbut......"Hunting by handgun is not for everyone. If your family size and economic circumstances require you to optimize your chances to fill your freezer, handgun hunting may not be for you. If your ego and self-esteem require that you kill something every hunting season, handgun hunting may not be a good fit.
If the hunt is more important to you then the kill, if the outdoor experience motivates you more than bragging about a trophy, handgun hunting has a lot to offer. Certainly, handgun hunting is more difficult. The challenge is part of the attraction. If you don`t understand that, handgun hunting is unlikely to draw or reward you."

Truer words have not been spoken! Hi my name is Rocky and I love wheel guns...oh wrong meeting!
While I drool over some of the guns posted here Freedom Arms,BFR. I am a basic guy. If my Ruger gets it done I can't see spending the extra money. I would love too, but raising two kids and being in public safety its just not an option.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
6 registered (Hunter5891, pab1, ScoutV2, Franchise, KRal, wheelguns) and 78 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Gregg Richter
Chance Weldon
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Shiras Moose
Shiras Moose

Second chance buck
Second chance buck

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.