Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191965 - 04/15/18 10:40 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Teep]
PsTaN
enthusiast

Loc: Alabama

I started hunting very young with my Grandfather in the typical "Southern Deer Drive" style. I've taken deer with shotgun, rifle, bow, blackpowder, and handgun over the last 35 years. My Daddy wasnt much of a hunter, but collected firearms and loved shooting handguns. He taught me to shoot.

I hunted hard and heavy for years with long guns, but it just got stale and boring. A few years back I decided to take handgun hunting seriously and havent looked back. I find no other type of hunting, even bowhunting, as exciting and challenging as hunting with a handgun.

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#191966 - 04/15/18 10:42 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise]
ruger4570
enthusiast

Loc: Illinois

I started using my Dad's Hi-Standard to shoot rabbits when I was around 10. I bought myself an H&R 999 Sportsman when I was around 14 or 15 and used it for quite a few years for squirrels, rabbits, and pests. Then I switched to a stainless Single Six for the same. My first center fire was a Ruger Security Six in 357. I was living in Phoenix then, and shot lots of jack rabbits with it. Now I use a SRH in 44 and an Encore with 223, 357, and 44 barrels.

#191970 - 04/16/18 12:00 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
RE RIFLES BEING EASIER TO SHOOT THAN HANDGUNS, WHICH IS TRUE, HERE IS WHY I THINK IT IS TRUE: 1) DEER HUNTERS WHO SHOOT 2 OR 3 SHOTS A YEAR, IF THAT MUCH, OF ANY KIND OF RIFLE OR HANDGUN, REGULARLY BAG THEIR DEER, BUT GIVE 'EM A HANDGUN AND THEY WOULD BE IN TROUBLE; 2) THE FASTER THE BULLET LEAVES THE BARREL THE LESS EFFECT A SMALL ERROR IN TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING WILL HAVE; 3) IN MANY CASES THE RIFLE IS AN INHERENTLY MORE ACCURATE PLATFORM THAN A HANDGUN; 4) LOCK TIME (THE TIME BETWEEN THE TRIGGER PULL AND IGNITION) ON RIFLES IS GENERALLY QUICKER THAT ON MOST HANDGUNS, ESPECIALLY REVOLVERS, WHICH AGAIN LESSENS THE EFFECT OF SMALL TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING ERRORS; 5) USUALLY IT IS EASIER TO GET A BETTER REST, BE STEADIER WITH A RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN FIELD CONDITIONS; AND 6) GENERALLY, A RIFLE WILL EXTEND YOUR RANGE OVER HANDGUNS.

RIFLES MAY BE EASIER BUT I STILL ADMIRE THE RIFLE SHOOTERS WHO WORK AT IT, PRACTICE, etc., IT TAKES MORE TO BE A TRUE "RIFLEMAN" THAN JUST OWNING ONE.

Very well put, and spot on.

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#191975 - 04/16/18 03:59 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Living where I am I was never exposed to hunting and purchased handguns to shoot targets. A Python, Gold Cup and S&W m-25

JAMES: YOU CERTAINLY BOUGHT GOOD STUFF EARLY ON. BACK IN THE 70's WHEN GUYS WERE LUSTING AFTER 29's ME I LUSTED AFTER A MODEL 25 IN 45 ACP/45 AR. A BEAUTIFUL AND FANTASTIC REVOLVER. I AM THINNING MY GUN ACCUMULATION BUT I PLAN TO DIE OWNING THE 25. I NOW HAVE IT SET UP FOR A 1,000 fps 240 WFN AR ("AUTO RIM", THE ORIGINAL "AR") LOAD FROM REED'S AMMO, AND EVEN LOADED UP SOME SNAKE SHOT LOADS IN 45 AR CASES USING 45 COLT SHOT CAPSULES FROM SPEER. A KEEPER GUN AND COMBO FOR SURE!

Rey, Never took any game with my S^W 45acp but would shoot it in a meadow at some big rocks and was amazed how long it took those 230gr hardball bullets to hit... The 1000fps loads you have are much faster...A beauty of a handgun.....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#191982 - 04/17/18 05:15 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Distinguished Expert

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

I have also killed over a dozen with handguns; yes much harder of course.

That's all I was saying you old cowboy....

"My heroes have always been cowboys..." and I have done my time working and driving and rounding up cattle in my time, but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

#191985 - 04/17/18 08:20 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
Zee
Gun Slinger

but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

I am a Rifleman.......who likes handguns.

😁

#191991 - 04/17/18 10:26 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Zee]
Distinguished Expert

Originally Posted By: Zee
but I am a horseman, sir.
;\)

I am a Rifleman.......who likes handguns.

😁

#192002 - 04/17/18 06:38 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
Sawfish
addict

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

I always wanted to be a handgun hunter, but the only handguns I owned were a .25 ACP that my Uncle brought back from his WWII stint in Germany, and a High Standard .22 revolver that I inherited from my Brother. I finally decided to make that a reality, and saved up enough money to buy a decent pistol. I visited a gun dealer friend of mine, who gave me a great deal on an S&W 6 1/2" Model 29 in 44 Magnum. It was a beautiful piece of the gunmaker's art with deep dark blue and reddish brown grips. I fondled that gun for two weeks waiting to go shooting. Then the movie "Dirty Harry" hit the local theatres. My gun dealer friend called and asked if I had shot it, and would I be interested in selling to which I replied No and No. He asked me to keep it unfired for a bit, and said that he would call me in a few days. It seems the movie's popularity had not only wiped out all existing inventory of blued S&W 6 1/2" Model 29s, but had also severely escalated the price of all other blued 29s. My dealer friend called and said he would double my money on the 29, and also make me a killer deal on an almost new Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. It was too good to pass up, so feeling like I was selling one of my Children, I exchanged the Smith for the Ruger and the cash. I knew that the 29 market was depleted, but on a whim, I stopped by the area Wal-Mart on the way home, and looked through their pistol selection (Wal-Mart sold pistols then, and so did J.C. Penney). The clerk asked if I was looking for something, and I half heartedly asked if he had any 29s hid out in the back. As a matter of fact I do he replied, but said I do not think you will want it, as he went to retrieve it. He returned with a large blue Smith & Wesson box, and my heart skipped a beat. He pulled out the longest, shiniest pistol I had ever seen, an 8 3/8" Model 29 in bright Nickel. I asked him what was wrong with it. He said nothing, but he kept it in the back because every body wanted to hold it because there were no blued 29s to be had and he could not get his work done. He remarked that they had even marked it down because it was not selling. I had enough left from my previous transaction to cover the price, so I brought it home. Since it was too pretty to hunt with, it became my target gun and the Ruger was my hunting gun. I wore the bluing off that SBH hauling it in my Blazer while waiting for an easy shot. I finally learned that I was never going to be a handgun hunter if I brought my rifle on the hunt. Shortly thereafter I received a certified letter from Smith & Wesson informing me that I was one of the sweepstakes winners of an all expenses paid handgun hunt to be held at the YO Ranch in Texas. Never hunted with a rifle since. So thanks to Dirty Harry, Wal-Mart, Smith & Wesson and the YO Ranch, I became a handgun hunter. Yes, I know it too long, but those of you that know me would expect nothing less.

P.S. I still have the Nickel 29, the Super Blackhawk, the German .25 ACP, and the High Standard.

Edited by Sawfish (04/19/18 03:15 PM)
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#192006 - 04/17/18 09:36 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Sawfish]
PsTaN
enthusiast

Loc: Alabama

Sawfish ... that's a cool story!!!

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#192007 - 04/17/18 10:05 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: PsTaN]
wheelguns
addict

Loc: Western Montana

Originally Posted By: PsTaN
Sawfish ... that's a cool story!!!

X2

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
7 registered (Chance Weldon, 4MAG4, karl, Bob Roach, JDK, REDHAWK1954, 1 invisible) and 78 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Freedom Arms Break
Freedom Arms Break Open Pistol

222 Remington
222 Remington

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.