Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173971 - 10/15/16 01:41 PM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: Hawkeye]
SGalan
journeyman

Bad news Hawkeye...

I had those made by a gentleman who is no longer in the custom grip market. Sorry Bro!

#173996 - 10/16/16 09:27 AM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: SGalan]
Bob Roach
addict

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

WPrather You made a very good pick. I have a 9.5 SRH in 480 Ruger with a 30mm UltraDot, and my little brother has a 9.5 Inch SRH 44 Magnum with 30mm UltraDot. The Super feels good in the hand, they work great, they are heavy enough without being an anchor like the Big Smiths in 460 & 500.

Contact Ruger about swapping the BRAND NEW 1" Rings for 30mm Rings. They swapped them on mine with no problem.

Do you know the difference between the standard Hogue Grip and the Hogue Tamer? I am not sure if Ruger is putting the Tamer's on all the Super RedHawks now or just the 454/480. Push on the back of the grip where the web of your hand goes and see how soft it is. OR pull the grip and look for a Smurf Blue insert down the back on the inside of the grip. Depending on how warm your loads are you might want to swap to the Hogue Tamer if they are not on it now. They are plenty cheap and really soak up recoil.

You have 2 choices in 30mm UltraDots. The standard version has a fixed 4 MOA Dot Size. It works fine, but in low light, "Closing Time in a Valley" situations you will get a little Bloom the last few minutes of shooting light.

Normally in good light I will be set on 3 or 4 on brightness. I will keep checking the sight as the light goes down, and turning it down as the light fades to 1.

The Better Option is the 30mm MatchDot II. It costs a little more money, but has multiple reticle choices. The only one you need to concern yourself with is the 2 MOA Dot Size. Going from 4 MOA down to 2 MOA really helps with Bloom in low light. I will guarantee you if you had both to look through on your stand at Closing Time you would pick the MatchDot II. I am getting ready to order a second MatchDot II for the wifes 357 Maximum Contender barrel. I have one on my 35 Bullberry Contender barrel now.

My brother and I both have 6 Inch GP100's also. We mainly shoot them in our monthly ICORE Revolver Match. With a Weigand Combat Base they would make a great practice revolver. We both have 3 Inch GP100's and 2.25 inch SP101's. Did I mention I like Rugers.

I do not holster carry my Super RedHawk. I have a Boyt Case for a Contender that I had D rings sewn on for a shoulder strap. I carry my revolver cased under my left arm like a Muzzleloader Possibles Bag.

I live in Texas County about 7 miles North of Mark Hampton. Your picture of the Big Buck looks like you are probably in the Ozarks also.

Bob

#174000 - 10/16/16 11:47 AM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: Bob Roach]
s4s4u
Shootist

Loc: Northern MN

Quote:
The Better Option is the 30mm MatchDot II.

Unless they have recently changed this sight, it won't fit between the factory ring spacing on the SRH. You can get an adaptor that locks in the Ruger ringmounts and takes Weaver style rings, or extension rings that fit the Ruger slots, that will accommodate the longer turret on the MatchDot.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

#174009 - 10/16/16 02:32 PM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: Bob Roach]
WPrather
journeyman

Loc: Missouri

[quote=Bob Roach]WPrather You made a very good pick. I have a 9.5 SRH in 480 Ruger with a 30mm UltraDot, and my little brother has a 9.5 Inch SRH 44 Magnum with 30mm UltraDot. The Super feels good in the hand, they work great, they are heavy enough without being an anchor like the Big Smiths in 460 & 500.

Contact Ruger about swapping the BRAND NEW 1" Rings for 30mm Rings. They swapped them on mine with no problem.

Do you know the difference between the standard Hogue Grip and the Hogue Tamer? I am not sure if Ruger is putting the Tamer's on all the Super RedHawks now or just the 454/480. Push on the back of the grip where the web of your hand goes and see how soft it is. OR pull the grip and look for a Smurf Blue insert down the back on the inside of the grip. Depending on how warm your loads are you might want to swap to the Hogue Tamer if they are not on it now. They are plenty cheap and really soak up recoil.

You have 2 choices in 30mm UltraDots. The standard version has a fixed 4 MOA Dot Size. It works fine, but in low light, "Closing Time in a Valley" situations you will get a little Bloom the last few minutes of shooting light.

Normally in good light I will be set on 3 or 4 on brightness. I will keep checking the sight as the light goes down, and turning it down as the light fades to 1.

The Better Option is the 30mm MatchDot II. It costs a little more money, but has multiple reticle choices. The only one you need to concern yourself with is the 2 MOA Dot Size. Going from 4 MOA down to 2 MOA really helps with Bloom in low light. I will guarantee you if you had both to look through on your stand at Closing Time you would pick the MatchDot II. I am getting ready to order a second MatchDot II for the wifes 357 Maximum Contender barrel. I have one on my 35 Bullberry Contender barrel now.

My brother and I both have 6 Inch GP100's also. We mainly shoot them in our monthly ICORE Revolver Match. With a Weigand Combat Base they would make a great practice revolver. We both have 3 Inch GP100's and 2.25 inch SP101's. Did I mention I like Rugers.

I do not holster carry my Super RedHawk. I have a Boyt Case for a Contender that I had D rings sewn on for a shoulder strap. I carry my revolver cased under my left arm like a Muzzleloader Possibles Bag.

I live in Texas County about 7 miles North of Mark Hampton. Your picture of the Big Buck looks like you are probably in the Ozarks also.

I actually live in St. Francios county but I work for Pace construction out of West Plains. We work all over the ozarks working on 60 at Mountain Grove right now. I do hunt in Texas County and Pulaski, have for the last 25-26yrs. From Licking to the back gate of Ft. Lenord Wood.

I actually put a 2.5x8x28 Weaver on it for now but I will be getting some 30mm rings and trying a red dot also. I already have a 30mm Millet at home that looks identical to the ultra dot that I can try to see what I like best. I haven't had a chance to do any reloading or work up any loads for it yet. Working out of town 6days a week puts a damper on pretty much everything. But I hope to get it sighted in this evening and shoot it some with a couple boxes of 240gr XTP's that I picked up.

#174648 - 10/29/16 10:23 AM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: WPrather]
rougerocco

Loc: Michigan

I have a Ruger .480 SRH, I put it together about 10 plus yrs ago. My eyes must be getting old because my Burris Speed Dot is getting harder to see! Might have to go with something else soon. I am only carrying this out deer hunting now! Love the gun!!

#174651 - 10/29/16 11:38 AM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: rougerocco]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Customized (Franken-Ruger) Ruger GP-100 357 Magnum.

#174652 - 10/29/16 11:42 AM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: s4s4u]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
The Better Option is the 30mm MatchDot II.

Unless they have recently changed this sight, it won't fit between the factory ring spacing on the SRH. You can get an adaptor that locks in the Ruger ringmounts and takes Weaver style rings, or extension rings that fit the Ruger slots, that will accommodate the longer turret on the MatchDot.

The Matchdot won't fit, you are correct.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#174656 - 10/29/16 12:13 PM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: Whitworth]
BushytailBasher

Loc: Chillicothe, ohio

Well the only revolver I currently own is a new model black hawk in 41 mag with a 4 5/8 barrel and here in barrel minimum is 5 inches so I cant use it but a 380 is ok with a 5 inch barrel.... I am however considering adding an inch muzzle break to fix that... Never had the barrel off a revolver though however I am sure that it wont fit in the lathe on the frame so.....

#174680 - 10/29/16 03:17 PM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: BushytailBasher]
s4s4u
Shootist

Loc: Northern MN

Originally Posted By: BushytailBasher
Well the only revolver I currently own is a new model black hawk in 41 mag with a 4 5/8 barrel and here in barrel minimum is 5 inches so I cant use it but a 380 is ok with a 5 inch barrel.... I am however considering adding an inch muzzle break to fix that... Never had the barrel off a revolver though however I am sure that it wont fit in the lathe on the frame so.....

If they measured a revolver from the breech face as they do with a semi-auto you'd have about a 6-1/4" barrel. It might be cheaper to sell your current revolver and buy a new one with a longer barrel than to have it braked.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

#174685 - 10/29/16 03:57 PM Re: What is your favorite deer hunting revolver? [Re: s4s4u]
BushytailBasher

Loc: Chillicothe, ohio

Nah im a certified machinist would only cost me time I would rather have a longer barrel but I just dont have the money for a different gun however I've been rebuilding military surplus rifles for years so adding break is a small thing

Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
3 registered (karl, reflex264, Seminole Wind) and 121 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
jamesfromjersey
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
johnwilliams
pab1
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
454 Eland
454 Eland

444 Marlin
444 Marlin

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.