jcp161
(member)
06/01/20 11:11 AM
TC .357 Maximum 12" Hunter Barrel Question

I have one of these and as much as I want it to shoot them, it will not group the 180 grain XTPs I purchased from Reed's. I have a Super 14 in the same caliber that does great with these rounds in that weight and never had a problem in the 10" barrels I've owned in the past.

Anyone know if the rifle twist in these is set up for a different bullet weight? Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

John

H2OBUG
(Pooh-Bah)
06/01/20 01:08 PM
Re: TC .357 Maximum 12" Hunter Barrel Question

Check the freebore difference between the barrels.

May want to seat your bullets longer.

Had a similar issue shooting 300 XTPs in my new and old 44 Mag barrels. The newer was cut with the forcing cone. God only knows why they would chamber a barrel this way-- but it wanted the bullets seated way out.

45MAN
(Pooh-Bah)
06/01/20 04:02 PM

BELLM HAS A WRITE UP ON THE FORCING CONE/FREEBORE ISSUES. WHAT I DID WAS SEND HIM A NEWER 12 INCH 357 MAG WHICH HE RECHAMBERED TO 357 MAX, THUS ELIMINATING THE "FORCING CONE".

RECENLY TRADED INTO A BULL BARREL 10 INCH 45 COLT CONTENDER. IT MUST HAVE BEEN CHAMBERED W/O THE FORCING CONE BECAUSE IT IS A SHOOTER!

jcp161
(member)
06/02/20 08:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. While I can and have reloaded for the max, the ammunition I was using was purchased from Reed's. Had good luck with some of their other loads in different calibers and thought I would try it.

I'll stick a bullet in an empty case, close the action and measure it. See if there's a difference in length. Or I'll try some 158 grain loads and see how they do.

My first .357 Max barrel was a 10" Bellm. Good shooter but could never get used to the blast in that barrel length. For me anyway.

John