junebug
(Gun Slinger)
11/02/19 01:51 AM
Broken rules.

One of the unbreakable rules of reloading, ONLY ONE POWDER ON THE BENCH AT A TIME! Guess which DUMB A#$ had two tonight. Poured about 500 gr of 4227 into a can of H S 6 and knew it right away when I looked at the 4227 can. Took it out back and watched a long string of powder go up in smoke.$28.00 worth of smoke.

That's what 10 experimental rounds cost me tonight because I broke an unbreakable rule.

KYODE
(Shooting Expert)
11/02/19 02:09 AM
Re: Broken rules.

Ouch

Zee
(Gun Slinger)
11/02/19 07:18 AM

At least you caught the mistake before it cost you more than $28! 😳

Pa. Mike
(member)
11/02/19 08:21 PM

A good reminder , glad you posted this as we all tend to overlook the basics sometimes.

Bob Roach
(old hand)
11/02/19 08:35 PM

Us old time reloader's can get a little over confident at times. A wake up call now and again is a good thing to keep us on our toes.
I poured out a powder measure full of powder a while back because I did not put a card on the hopper with the powder type on it. I was also working up loads with multiple powders on the bench at one time. I forgot which one I had in the powder measure last.

Bob R

ruger4570
(addict)
11/02/19 08:54 PM

Thanks for posting as a reminder. Luckily you caught it without a much worse discovery of it, and you did the right thing after the fact.

junebug
(Gun Slinger)
11/03/19 12:20 PM

Yes Bob we can. That is why my number one rule is only one can on the bench at a time. Obviously I broke that rule and it cost me a pound of powder. It was a lot cheaper lesson than it could of been had I not caught it. My powder is stored next to the bench in a safe, so no reason to leave the extra can out ,just laziness on my part. So use my wake up call as a reminder to everyone, one can of powder at a time on the bench, DOESN'T MATTER HOW EXPERIENCED YOU ARE , mistakes can and do happen.

popo
(journeyman)
11/03/19 09:24 PM

We are human and humans make mistakes although some dont think so. Good you caught it.

bluecow
(old hand)
11/04/19 10:11 AM

Never mixed powders. Did find myself filling 45-70 cases with ffg from a new 1lb can and my corn cob clenched in my teeth. That was a bit exciting for a moment or two. To heck with don't drink and drive, DON'T SMOKE AND RELOAD

Willicd76
(member)
11/08/19 01:03 PM

Could have shook up 500 grains in that container and had no issues using it up.

Bigbrowndog
(member)
11/09/19 04:44 PM

Next time give it to the wife or GF,....it makes good plant soil mix.
Whenever I pull bullets from others reloaded stuff to save components, I drop the powder charges into a special can of mixed powders and then take it out to the compost for the wife?s plants.

Trapr

junebug
(Gun Slinger)
11/09/19 10:33 PM

Willicd76
You are probably right about that but, and there's always a but. All I could have done was shoot it up and there would be no load data. It would not match the next can of H S 6. It just was NOT worth taking a chance on,better to pour it out, light it and dance around the fire chanting YOU DUMB A@@@@@@ YOU DUMB A@@@@@@.

Willicd76
(member)
11/11/19 09:04 PM

I always say I'm going to empty the measure every time I'm done loading but rarely do. It's always the look and smell test to see where the powder belongs....