sixshot
(addict)
10/06/16 01:17 PM
Bull Moose

Yesterday after reading about Mark Hampton's Utah moose with his FA 338 Federal one of my son's picked up one to make a little run for a muley buck. He has a tag for a very good area that opened yesterday & runs into November so we decided to do some scouting since a light snow was falling north of town. About 5-6 miles out we drove right up on a average size bull moose who seemed perfectly content to run along beside the truck while I took 3 photo's of him with my cell phone. A deer or elk would have been in the Quakies in a heart beat but moose are wired different.
This is about a 35-36 inch bull enjoying the cool weather. If you zoom in you can get a better look. We have a lot of moose. The grandson's probably seen 20-25 during archery season.

Dick

GaryAdministrator
(Distinguished Master)
10/06/16 02:06 PM
Re: Bull Moose

Moving this back to the handgun hunting forum where it belongs.

Gregg Richter
(Shooting Master)
10/06/16 06:08 PM

Cool photo, Dick. They are huge!

My friend Matt recently bought an outfitting business and he had a client for a muzzle loader moose hunt just this past week. Matt told me his client missed a bull at 40 yards; then he put his client on this bull and they sealed the deal.

Matt is guiding for me on my upcoming antelope hunt. We leave for the Durham Ranch on Sunday.

jamesfromjersey
(Shootist)
10/06/16 07:35 PM

they are magnificent creatures.....

Russell
(Pooh-Bah)
10/06/16 08:05 PM

Idaho has a few. Nice photo, Dick.

pab1
(Shooting Master)
10/06/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: sixshot
A deer or elk would have been in the Quakies in a heart beat but moose are wired different.

With increased wolf populations our moose numbers here have been lower for a while now. I've noticed the moose I come across now are much jumpier and stay around heavy cover. When disturbed they disappear into the cover and keep going. I think the ones that are surviving are the ones that react like this. Prior to this I usually found it fairly easy to approach moose. Back then, with the exception of calves, they were not threatened by many predators.

TN Lone Wolf
(Shooting Master)
10/06/16 10:12 PM

Cool picture. Even if I never manage to hunt a moose, I'd just love to get within about 30 yards of one.

pab1
(Shooting Master)
10/06/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Cool picture. Even if I never manage to hunt a moose, I'd just love to get within about 30 yards of one.

They're impressive up close! Not a big bull but years ago on an archery hunt I was rushing through some thick cover and came face to face with the one. He was about 6 yards from me.

This bull was in the same area. His antlers are not real big but his body was massive! He dwarfed a couple bulls that were hanging out around him.

BBwheelgunner
(veteran)
10/10/16 07:39 PM

cool pictures guys!

They are awesome creatures! I have been fortunate enough to have lived/ worked/ and hunted in an area with pretty good numbers of moose and have had some neat close encounters.

This guy was at about 30 yards and stood broadside for about a minute.

he had two cows with him and they crossed right in front of me, the closest one at about 10 yds.

Never knew I was there... pretty cool!

Ramjet-SS
(enthusiast)
10/10/16 08:03 PM

My son and I want to hunt moose next. We are ok with cow tags and will be searching out the WY cow tag situation. Awe have done elk for many years we want try something different. Also if anyone has any suggestions? Obviously we would love to handgun hunt but would be ok with archery equipment. Thanks in advance for any help.

BBwheelgunner
(veteran)
10/10/16 08:28 PM

Ramjet,
Shiras moose tags across the west are tough to come by for both resident and non-residents. even cow tags. in fact many units only have bull tags and few of them. You will have to put in some time researching your draw odds and areas for what kind of hunt you are looking for. In a number of places in WY for example, it takes around 15 points to get drawn.

Good luck in your moose endeavor! I hope to draw a tag some day, but will just begin building points this year